Updating MES Files

Now that I’ve found a bunch of dialogue that needs changing, I’ve started hex editing the MES files in question to adjust the specific messages.

So far, I’ve edited the following for AnWL:

  • [garfun.mes]
  • [godey.mes]
  • [gustafa.mes]
  • [gustafa_husband.mes]
  • [mash_husband.mes]
  • [muumuu.mes]
  • [other.mes]
  • [phrase.mes]
  • [rock.mes]
  • [rock_husband.mes]
  • [sepilia.mes]
  • [son.mes]
  • [son_baby.mes]
  • [son_diary.mes]
  • [son_other.mes]
  • [son_talk.mes]

I’ll be going through the AWL files (as well as some more AnWL edits) tomorrow,.

I’ve created a [directory] from which I will be linking to all of my dialogue file dumps.

I will upload new alpha patches shortly thereafter with just the dialogue edits (no texture/model replacement) so that users can test them and see if there are any lingering misgendered messages.

One main issue I’ve noticed with some of the dialogue, is that when I replace some text with text of different length (e.g. “she” [3 letters] with he [2 letters]), it seems to change the offset of any messages afterwards.  This is especially apparent with the rock_husband dialogue as some of the later messages are missing the first word or half-word.

Testing / Bugs

So I’ve finally begun the actual in-game testing of my mod (the AnWL version at least).

I can confirm that the AnWL player clothing textures are working, as well as the player icon on the map.

The clothing textures for the AWL character don’t seem to be applying though. My theory is that the actual used textures are embedded in a gpl model (which I believe includes the model plus texture). This makes me question why there are the loose texture files at all. They might be remnants left over from the original devs prior to them adopting the gpl format.

A more pressing matter is a bug that I’ve encountered with AnWL. The game seems to freeze/crash on any interaction involving Gustafa. I’m not sure why this is occurring as I haven’t modified any of Gustafa’s files.  The bug is so far present in both the 2017-08-14 and 2017-08-19 builds.

I’ve done hash checks and the only files that are different between the source ISO and the mod (the 2017-08-14 build) are the following:

  • root\&&systemdata\Game toc
  • root\&&systemdata\ISO hdr
  • root\&&systemdata\Start dol
  • root\assets2 tpl
  • root\dreaming_bad thp
  • root\dreaming_good thp
  • root\map tpl

I’m not quite sure which of these if causing the issue, my best guess is the ISO.hdr or Game.toc. I’m going to do more testing and see where that gets me. Wish me luck.