Getting Closer to 3D Model Previews

Namely, there was a “previewer” program compiled for old macs (old macs used a PowerPC architecture, similar to the Gamecube and Wii)

I’ve been fiddling around with some of the files from the Dolphin SDK.

I had tried running this before, but got stuck on the program looking for a “prevload.txt” file in a specific directory.

After some digging around in various documentation and script files, I finally figured out what I needed to do.

The program looks for an inserted disc with the volume label “cp”. It then looks for the folder “cp:/cpdata/preview/”. This folder must contain the file to be previewed (in this case, Zebra.gpl) as well as a text file called “prevload.txt” (which just contains the name of the file to be previewed).

With all of these conditions met, the program should display the requested file.

Unfortunately my virtual machine setup seems to freeze (or in some cases crash) at this point. This seems to be an issue with SheepShaver not supporting 3D hardware rendering.

Ultimately, the next (and only) step to get this software running would be to try it out on a real old-school mac. And even if that works, I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to navigate the program (since it seems to use some sort of game controller).

As always, I’ll keep you all updated.

SDK Software

I managed to figure out some of the software from the Gamecube SDK.

It looks like some of the SDK includes binaries built for the legacy mac platform.

Old Macintosh computers used the same PowerPC architecture (as opposed to other computers that used the Intel x86 architecture) as the Gamecube. This means that running software for the Gamecube would require either the actual dev kit hardware (known as HW1 or HW2), or a Mac.

There was also the official Dolphin emulator (not to be confused with the current fan project Dolphin Gamecube/Wii emulator), but that could only emulate certain aspects of the hardware.  You’d still need a mac or dev kit to run most things.

So, after some trial and error, I managed to get an old copy of Mac OS 9 running in a virtual machine known as SheepShaver.

I then got the preview program (an app from the SDK to view the character models/textures) to extract and open.  But when trying to run it, it fails after saying a needed file (prevload.txt) couldn’t be found. Documentation on getting this to run is sketchy at best.

I’ll need to do more digging to figure out the full configuration needed to get the app to run.  I read something about setting “CP_Root environment variables” in the SDK documentation, so that might be my next step.

I also tried getting my hands on a trial copy of 3DS Max (the software used by devs to create models). But then I found out that 3DS Max Plugins are version specific, so I’d need the old 3DS Max v3.1 to use the Gamecube plugins from the SDK to import/export models. And this will likely also require I use a virtual machine with an old version of Windows (e.g. Windows 98) to run it.

One step forward, two steps back.