New Discord Server for Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons Translation Projects

It’s recently come to my attention that some other projects are now using the tutorials I’ve written on this blog. This was always my intent and the primary reason why I’ve been documenting all of my findings while researching AWL.

I’ve now created a [Harvest Moon Translations Discord] where people can collaborate and discuss translating AWL, as well as other HM/SoS games into various languages.

I hope that having a dedicated server will offer people a common place to help work on these projects, and get in touch with others who might have helpful expertise, whether it’s knowing another language, or technical knowledge about the game in question.

Currently I’ve created channels for a few AWL, FoMT, and DS projects, but more will be added as they come up.

If you or someone you know would be interested in helping translate some of these games, feel free to [join]!

Poll: Nami Model Variants

One item of consideration for the mod is whether or not I should modify Nami’s character model.

Her appearance in A Wonderful Life depicts her with neat short hair. However, her appearance in Another Wonderful Life depicts her with notably messier hair.

Nami’s AWL model (neat hair) vs AnWL (messy hair)

I’m currently running [a poll on Twitter] to look at which model players prefer.

I plan on using the result in each version of the mod (i.e. both A Proud Life and Another Proud Life).

While I’m partial to the neat look, I recognize that that might be due to me growing up with AWL. With that said, the messy look is growing on me.

Fun with Textures in Dolphin

I’ve recently tried playing with the texture dump and load tools in Dolphin (fan emulator).

I dumped the boy textures from A Wonderful Life and swapped them with the girl textures from Another Wonderful Life.

The results were… interesting.

It’s worth noting that this is just a temporary solution until I can find a way into the game’s CLZ file format to manually replace the texture image files on the disc.

It’ll mainly serve as a way to identify the main character during test playthroughs as a female/male via their face/clothing.

Also, I really need to find a better way of differentiating Dolphin (Gamecube Development Codename) and Dolphin (fan emulator). Maybe I should refer to the former as Nintendo Dolphin and the latter as Dolphin-emu.

Starting Dialogue Analysis

I’ve put all of the dialogue from each game. [AWL] [AnWL]

I’m starting to look through the dialogue and make note of any areas that need editing, including grammatical errors and gendered terms.

Please [let me know] if you find any areas that will also need editing.

Once I’ve found the areas to edit, I will make the changes using manual hex editing of the original MES files.


Update #2

I’ve gone through the AWL dialogue.

I’ve located any mentions of “husband”, “father”, “pops”, “dad”, and “daddy” that need to be changed.  I’ve also located a number of grammatical errors that will need to be fixed.

The AWL dialogue dump [link] has been updated as such.

Of course the sections I’ve found won’t be complete.  There are still going to be numerous he/him entries throughout the dialogue, but this is a start.

It’ll go a lot faster if you guys can message me [link] with any dialogue that you come across needing to be fixed.

I’ll work on the AnWL dialogue tomorrow and then will start on hex editing the necessary files, followed by creating updated xDelta patches.