An update on the Windows version of “Previewer”

After setting up a full software development environment in a Windows XP Virtual Machine using a combination of Visual Studio 6.0 and software from a recent AssemblerGames dump, I was able to make some progress with the SDK files.

I managed to delete the version-check code from C:\pcemu\build\charPipeline\geoPalette\src\geoPalette.c (a module used when previewing gpl geometry files).

I was then able to recompile geopalette.obj and charpipeline.lib (using the newly modified geopalette.c code) by opening C:\pcemu\build\charPipeline\win32\makeall.bat.

Once those were created, I could finally rebuild Previewer.exe and PreviewerD.exe (debug) by running the makefile located at C:\pcemu\build\demos\charPipeline\pcmakefile.

This means that the program will bypass the previous version mismatch error I was getting.

However, the program still will not actually load the model, and will crash shortly after displaying the “Loading” message.

After looking at the documentation that came with the SDK files, it seems that this issue is because the Windows version of Previewer needs gpl files exported specifically using little-endian, as opposed to big-endian (typical format for exporting for Gamecube/Mac test systems).

My best bet at this point would to continue my search for an OS 9 mac that I can run further tests on, or to find a way to convert the big-endian gpl files to little-endian for viewing on PC.

AnWL Dialogue Dumped

Harrison has been able to implement a switch into the MES Reader program to read files as AnWL format (different hex cipher than AWL). [link to new version]

This means I’ve been able to fully dump the AnWL dialogue files. [link]

As I’ve said before, I’ll probably start with basic gendered terms (husband/wife, mom/dad, he/she, etc.).  If you know of any specific dialogue lines that should be changes, please let me know. [contact link]


I’ll basically just be able to work with the dialogue until I can decipher the CLZ archive format that contain a lot of the game’s data (including some character models/textures).

I might try and consult some of the folks over on either the AssemblerGames or GBATemp forums for some help.

Worst case scenario, I might even try to get in contact with someone from the original team over at Natsume to see if they’d be willing to provide any insight into the file format spec.

A Brief Update

Sorry for not giving many updates about my Harvest Moon mod lately.

I’ve been busy with apartment hunting/packing/moving for the last couple weeks. So I haven’t had much time to work on it.

Right now I’m trying to look at getting some tools from the Nintendo Gamecube/Dolphin SDK to run so that I can try working with some of the gpl (model) / anm (animation) / act (actor) filetypes found in the game files. So far my efforts have just resulted in crashing, freezing, or blank screens.

I’ve tried making posts on the /r/wiihacks and /r/gamecube subreddits, but haven’t had much luck yet.  I might try making some posts on a couple forums like gbatemp or assemblergames to see if anyone has had much luck working with the sdk and it’s tools.

I also haven’t figured out why AnWL is crashing around Gustafa, but I’ll be looking into that further once I’m able to. For now, I’ve been able to get around it by playing through any Gustafa-related scenes using the original AnWL game, then switching back to the modded AnWL once the scene has been dealt with.  This could prove problematic though as it would be a hassle for any players wanting to marry Gustafa.

I still haven’t been able to find out where the female model and face textures are, the two games seem to have some differences in how they store the files.  I might see if I can find some sort of debug/log tool to see which files being accessed when Dolphin (the fan emulator) renders the textures.