Now that I’m able to access the contents of the previously inaccessible CLZ files, It’s time to experiment with model files.
My first test was to decompress the mainchapter archives (e.g. mainchapter0.arc.clz), then extract the boy archives from there (e.g. boy_0.arc).
Then, I went about swapping the GPL files (e.g. boy_0.gpl). Based on my previous research, these should contain all of the 3D model data needed.
My first test at importing the girl model into AWL was… less than successful.
But at least the game didn’t crash, so that’s a start.
After some further tests, I found that I needed to swap all of the girl/boy-associated model files (act, gpl, skn, tpl, and tam) with their boy/girl counterparts.
After replacing the model files, replacing boy_0.arc and girl_0.arc in the corresponding mainchapter0.arc files with their updated versions, and repacking those into their corresponding mainchapter0.arc.clz formats, it was time to test them out.
To my surprise, the models worked with little to no issue.
We now have the female model in AWL and male character in AnWL!
The animations seem to rig fairly well to each character, with a few exceptions (e.g. standing still while holding an animal such as a dog or chicken as the girl in AWL will cause the ponytail to do weird things).
I’ll be doing some more testing regarding the animations, with the hopes of fixing any discrepancies (e.g. the above animal holding glitch, the wider/narrower stance difference between the characters, etc). I know James in the Discord has been very active in experimenting with the character animations lately.