As a follow-up to my previous post, I’ve now figured out how to view serial console/debug output using Dolphin (fan emulator).
This can be enabled by toggling the View -> Log and View -> Log Configuration options. Then, enabling OSReport in the Log Configuration.
Console output will appear in the Log tab.
I tried running some of the problematic gcm images I created from Previewer + GPL models from AWL (version-modified), and got the following output:
The error above is likely due to a long filename (wildplant). Early computing systems used a standard known as 8.3, restricting filenames to 8 characters or less, followed by the file extension. Since this file is used in the game, I presume that the notification was fulfilled and the restriction was removed in a later iteration of the Dolphin Character Pipeline.
I tried a few different files with shorter file names. However, they all also gave errors.
It’s difficult to know what is causing the above error, but my best guess is that, since AWL was presumably built using an updated version of the Character Pipeline, it uses certain settings for gpl models that were only supported by the updated version.
If these findings are correct, then the models from the game could only be viewed using an updated build of Previewer from a newer version of the Character Pipeline. I’ll do some digging to see if I can find anything.
On a related note, now that I know about the Dolphin log feature, I’m going to try playing through some of AWL and AnWL to see if the games happen to have any serial console output as part of their code.
Huge thanks to Video James (sonic15783)#6150 on the Discord! This wouldn’t be possible without him!