Through some more research, I am now able to compile a version of previewer to run on retail hardware.
Here’s how I did it…
1. Create a folder to serve as the dvd root, in this case I used C:\defroot. This folder will contain the files to be previewed in a folder called “preview”, including the required prevload.txt file.
2. Convert the HW2 version of previewer.elf to .dol format using makedol.
3. Create a new file in Notepad the following settings and save as
4. Use the NPDP program OdemMakeDlf to compile our ddf file into a dlf file.
5. Download a retail-patched version of makegcm.dll and put the appropriate SDK folder C:\DolphinSDK1.0\X86\bin, overwriting the original makegcm.dll file.
6. Run makegcm.exe to compile the dlf file to a functional gcm (gamecube disc image).
The resulting gcm file can run on a retail Gamecube, or be opened in the Dolphin fan emulator.
I haven’t tried out any of the AWL files yet, but that will be the next step.
Overall, I’m leaps and bounds beyond where I was just a couple months ago.
I’ve tried using the above method to preview some gpl files from A Wonderful Life. Unfortunately, the program freezes on a black screen immediately after the Gamecube logo.
I’m not sure what the error is since the retail method of loading doesn’t provide any output. To get that, I’d need to be using a development system (e.g. GDEV, TDEV) that could be hooked up to a PC for console output.
The alternative would be to try using an entirely different piece of software, dspin.
This software (I have version 0.94) allegedly has experimental gpl import support.
I’ll do some tests with this software tomorrow to see if I can get anywhere.
If dspin doesn’t work, I’ll just have to shift focus back to dialogue editing until a workaround can be found, such as a more updated previewer for Mac (i.e. newer than the version included with the April 2001 Character Pipeline).
dspin didn’t seem to work. I renamed the file and put it in the dvdroot folder, but the program didn’t seem to do anything with it.
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Further research needed.