The first thing you’ll need to poke around in the files of either A Wonderful Life or Another Wonderful Life is a copy of the game(s).
Even if you don’t plan on helping with development, you’ll eventually need a copy of the ROM to apply the patch to if you want to play the mod.
While there are some methods out there for ripping games using some select compatible DVD drives, we’ll be using a Wii for this method, since those are more common.
- A Wii (Note: The Wii Mini is currently unhackable and won’t work)
- An SD Card
- A USB Stick (2GB or more)
- The Homebrew Channel
- Gamecube DAT file (if your Wii has no internet connection)
- Install the Homebrew Channel on your Wii [guide]
- Download CleanRip and copy the “apps” folder to the root of your SD card.
- If you downloaded the Gamecube DAT file, copy it to the root of your SD card and rename it to “gc.dat”
- Insert your SD Card into your Wii
- Insert your USB drive into your Wii
- Insert your Harvest Moon disc into the Wii
- Launch CleanRip from the Homebrew Channel
- Follow the on-screen instructions to dump the game to your USB drive
- Set “Chunk Size” to Max
- Set “New Device per Chunk” to No
Once finished, the app should display the name and md5 hash of the dumped ROM. These should match either of the following:
- Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (USA): 1b25d35660f163ebdc97165708b22f94
- Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (USA): af4bc131320ca06ab198202db78f3b06
For now, I’m currently just working with the US versions of each game.
Once I’ve completed those mods, I’ll start taking a look at the other versions (EUROPE, GERMANY, JAPAN).
- Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (EUR): 9e9b1d087aef6e2993c7bbd9e7b2fcc9
- Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (GER): 4cfaa94313149c4bd839e965026a4240
- Bokujou Monogatari: Wonderful Life (JAP) (v1.00): 2bd9b086f7e7b4c15e1e8149f9b4899f
Bokujou Monogatari: Wonderful Life (JAP) (v1.01): 06b0c45b21cc5603e91cf4cbd89bcc56
Bokujou Monogatari: Wonderful Life for Girls (JAP): 7dad8557e8ab6a0f35d8f57b9902d8f2